Author Topic: Pit price  (Read 6455 times)

Offline steamguy56

Re: Pit price
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 04:14:14 AM »
John if memory serves me right, I put 5yds in floor, 5yds, in the walls 5yds in the apron. 15x4 5 deep works great. As said before can use small ladder to clim up into bus if needed, mostly all is at arms length. Drive bus to 2, 3ft of end use ladder to go under. Pull over few feet for rear. Had a problem pulling over the great void, solved that with 2 4x8 sheets of aluminum plates placed over the hole(not to drive on just cover up the hole) Can worm them out easy enough. Built dry sumps in each corner with 2 inch pvc through bottom of wall. The barn I put over, did not have to be as tall as planed. The key is scissor trusses, always check by the truss plant to see if weeds are growing around pile of trusses (got them cheep). On the price done all work myself with helpers hired when needed apr. 4000. Now I had alot of things available to me your average busnut just don't have(compliments of my junk yards).
  Your price turn key may not be to bad....when asked why I did all this, the answer..SAFTY.. Oh by the way it doubles as the Airstream motorhome cover when not in use.
               Danny

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 05:03:52 AM »

Does anyone know what heavy duty material I can use to cover the pit when the bus is gone, This would play in the size of the angle I use to concrete in around the edges.
Tom, Thanks, I will remember to measure between the duals.

John

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 05:12:07 AM »
Hi John,

You can have your concrete guy make a recessed lip at the top of the pit that is about 2" on the inside.

When the bus is gone, you can cut 2"x12" plank boards to fill the entire top of the pit.

My dad did it that way and after the plank boards, he covered the wood with a strip of rubber matt and

you couldn't even tell the pit was there. You can also cut an I-beam to fit the opening to use for jacking of bus

parts that are over the pit hole.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Dreamscape

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
Hi John,

Remember this phrase "Build it and They We will come!"

Hope you get it done soon as I need to use it! HA

Good Luck and for those of you guys who have one, this is what every Bus Nut dreams of.

Paul

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 10:00:58 AM »
Hi Guys,
I built my pit 44" wide X 5' deep X 20' long. I have never used more than 12' of the length. I cover the 12' of the pit I use with 44" X 48" pieces of 3/4" plywood, and the 8' I don't use with 3/8" aluminum deck plate. I recently bought an old scissor lift that I plan to put in the bottom of my pit. When the platform is up it will cover the hole. When I want to use the pit I will ride the platform down to whatever height is comfortable to work from. When completly lowered, the platform will be 5' below the floor. Any one have a 120 volt single phase AC electric hydraulic unit for sale to replace the 12 Volt battery pump I have now. If so my home number is 507 area code 895 local 3216. I don't have a cell phone, so if I don't answer, please leave a message
Thanks, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline HB of CJ

Re: Multi Use Bus Pit?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 04:56:53 PM »
Sometimes it's crazy how threads morph.  Are you in "storm" country?  Maybe you can modify your pit into a shelter or swimming pool.  Of course plugging something in while wading might not be a good idea, but being able to live thru a tornado might be cool also.  :) :) :)

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »
John; we have metal floor grate on ours if you are in a industrial area the stuff is cheap at junk yards get the guy to pour you a angle iron frame in the concrete and cut the grate to size I have 5 pcs 4x4 for 20 ft plus you can drive on it   have a great evening

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 06:25:44 PM »
Can you drive the bus in it or just the toad?

Thx

John

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 09:09:19 AM »
John; yes you can drive on it but you need a beam (5 in) where each of the sections join I have 3 removable beams in mine look at the drains in truck docks they have floor grating        have a great day

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
From a safety standpoint, plan to have the pit covered when not in use.

A fall into the pit can grievously injure or kill.

The trade magazines also have vendors who sell sliding nets for use to catch the unaware.

Make whatever cover you choose easy to use, or you'll start leaving it open...

You would be surprised at the number of people who step off the edge in a facility they have worked in for years!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
Bus Warrier,

Thank You Excellent point,

John

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 04:33:05 AM »
A friend had a piece of steel angle iron set in the concrete all the way around the top edge of his pit. He then welded a small section on pipe in each corner to serve as a socket for removable pipe stanchions that have lightweight chain running between them. They are kept in place anytime a vehicle is not over the pit.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: Multi Use Bus Pit?
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 09:04:58 AM »
Sometimes it's crazy how threads morph.  Are you in "storm" country?  Maybe you can modify your pit into a shelter or swimming pool.  Of course plugging something in while wading might not be a good idea, but being able to live thru a tornado might be cool also.  :) :) :)

Or a hot tub,  you could come out from under your bus all clean and relaxed :D,  Who says it not good therapy. ;D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 09:42:08 AM »
Oh yeah, a lap pool with a wave machine.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal