Author Topic: rivet question  (Read 2959 times)

Offline travelingfools

rivet question
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »
With the weather turning crappy, putting an end to our camping, I made the corparate descion to pull the windows and frames off the bus in preparation for skinning. I got three off the pas. side today and have my alum in the garage ready to go. My question is about the type of rivet. I was thinking of using this style as opposed to the type where the center is pulled through the face. Comments or concerns ?
John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: rivet question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »
I don't think thats a rivet!

It looks like an anchor with a head you hammer in to expand it, usually used to anchor in concrete.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:04:17 PM »
Cliff; that is a drive rivet they work good in some places I don't know about what he is using it for    have a great evening

Offline travelingfools

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:08:49 PM »
I was thinking about using the drive rivet to skin the side of my bus.. Sorry...Im having computer issues. I had a fairly long post explaining that, then my computer froze and I got pissed off...lol

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:15:13 PM »
My computor just froze and lost the message I was going to post.  >:( In short, those are generally used to mount signs on concrete walls. Not sure I would use them for skinning a bus FWIW. Good luck, Will

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
PP; that is not the same rivet those are made flush and counter sunk and made for metal to metal I was thinking more on the lines of structural for a MCI.Then I remembered that trailer mfg and truck body (van) mfg use that type rivet, they use a special air hammer to install those at the places I seen that style used   have a great evening

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:28:35 PM »
i used something like that when i popped a couple rivits off and needed to replace them.  we used a small air hammer to pound them in.  the good side is that they don't have the open center where the rain can come in.  they seem to be holding the alum side on ok where i put them in.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 03:29:42 AM »
Make sure the rivets are designed for the thickness you will be going through. If designed for a thicker wall, they will not tighten. I do not know what the structural strength of this rivet is.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 04:32:29 AM »
TF,

I used the shaved head rivets when I reskiinned.

They leave the mandrel on after pulling them, and then you snip and shave the mandrel down to a smooth finish.  They are structural.

They are also a little pricey, but in my opinion there ease of use, forgiveness for an odd shaped hole was worth it.

I only needed help to set the 10' sections in place and once I had a few Cleco's in, I could do the rest by myself.

Until I snipped all the ends off, the neighbors called it the "Pin Head Bus"

Best of luck,

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Sojourner

• Jesus Love You!
    • Jesus Love You!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:27:37 AM »
I don't think thats a rivet!

It looks like an anchor with a head you hammer in to expand it, usually used to anchor in concrete.

Cliff

I believe he right. I believe it is soft metal plug w/ring to hold something onto concrete or thick metal into blind hole. Look at the split relieved cut. The expansion portion is about 2 or 3 diameter away from ring head. Which mean a very loosely compress and being a push type inserts is reverse to the common bus skin rivet.

If you talking about installing bus’s skin onto the framing….use structural rivet only. Either solid aluminum or pull type structural design. However, to mount window's frame to skin & framing does not have to be structural but a good sealing & holding type rivet.

Call Byler Rivet to the latest & lowest cost structural rivet for the application.
http://www.bylerrivet.com/contact.aspx

Or do your homework:
Fastening Systems International
http://www.fsirivet.com/product_lines.php

A true structural rivet is a shaft retain tightly within the surrounded compressed rivet to give a bolt like connection to retard the shear movement.

All non trusses design frame buses does depend on the skin to be structural. Such as all GMC, before the late 1990's MCI & Prevost.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald
http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:43 AM »
I found this outfit has the best prices on any type rivets  www.rivetsinstock.com  with a better selection when buying a large amount   

have a great day

Offline travelingfools

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »
Thanks all for the info..time to get a rivet education !!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal