Author Topic: Ceiling Fabric or Vinyl  (Read 32168 times)

Offline mlh1936

• Graphics By Turbo Images
Ceiling Fabric or Vinyl
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »
How about some recommendations for covering my ceiling. Do you guys like fabric, vinyl or something else?
I have a pretty uneven surface. Is it practical to install some foam or other padding behind the ceiling material?
What cement do you recommend to keep it in place?
Thanks.
1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: Ceiling Fabric or Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 04:07:49 AM »
Foam underlayment can be used. Smooth vinyl will reflect more sound than fabric and is easier to clean. Fabric will collect more cooking odors, grease and dirt, and is harder to clean, but absorbs more sound. Not sure about best adhesive, but I would also use some mechanical fasteners(screws with trim washers or buttons) as most adhesives eventually fail (maybe 3years, maybe 20)  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 04:53:11 AM »
Hi mlh,

I have Ultra suede on my ceiling panels and I wouldn't advise anybody to have any kind of fabric on your ceiling.

Reason, seems all kinds of smells like from cooking gathers in the fabric... It's real challenging trying to clean the ceiling too!

Stick with vinyl or laminate if you can.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Blacksheep

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 05:41:25 AM »
I did vinyl over lightly padded 3/8 plywood in small sections and I'm very happy with the results. Using small sections you can create a unique design were are endless.
Ace

Offline muddog16

• Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop
    • Prevost LeMirage Conversion
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 06:02:09 AM »
Ace, did the 3/8ths panel give a good base for the vinyl?  I was thinking along those lines, with foam made for upholstery, then covered with vinyl, my ceiling joists are on 20 inch centers......(i matched the chassis steel layout) which should give plenty of support.  Did you used exposed screws or are they hidden?  When I put each section of ceiling in, my lights will be already installed in the panel along with vents and speakers I don't want any sag just good support!
Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Blacksheep

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:44:22 AM »
Dog the 3/8 gave a lot of support and was easier to install and cut to fit (I put mine up AFTER everythine else was in) and I have NO screws or connectors that can be seen. I used what is called in the upholstery field as a christmas tree fastener. A 1/4 inch ribbed fastener that presses into your panel and then when you put your finished panel in place the exposed end of the fastener goes into a pre drilled corresponding hole in your firring strip. In my case I used a complete sub ceiling of 3/8 plywood prior to any finished panels.
As for the padding? I went to HD and purchased a couple rolls of padding that is used under laminate flooring. Its thin enough to give just enough foam feel but not too thick to distort the vinyl. I padded each panel after I pre drilled my fastener holes and covered each panel by using contact cement on about 3 inches of each edge of vinyl AND back side of plywood. After stretching the vinyl to fit smooth and tight, I reinforced it by using staples around the whole edge. Then insert your fasteners and simply press into corresponding holes in your ceiling.
Using these fasteners allows you to remove any panel if needed to run or repair any wiring that you may have above.
If you need more info, pics or sourcing, just ask!

Ace

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »
I have ultra leather(smooth) in mine easy to clean, the new Ozite materail RV builders are using now is not bad being 100% Polypropylene the old stuff was a PITA to clean.The high end converters are using what looks to be Masonite to me with rails on each side that just snap in and with Dacron instead of foam backing, with the heat transfer over time foam and vinyl will deterate, check around on places like a RV surplus and ebay if you can find ultra leather at a good buy it would be the best for headliner use , being the roof is the hottest spot in a coach.     have a great day

Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:35:56 AM »
I hate to dispute your theory although in some cases it may be true but my ceiling is actaully cool compared to the double pane insulated windows located on the side of the bus. Check it with a temp gun and you'll see. Also there is about 10-15 degrees difference from shooting directly on the glass and directly on the day/nite shades.
I don't look for my vinyl to deteriate any time soon and for that matter, in my lifetime!

Ace

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »
Ace; keep in Fl and proably will not be a problem bring it to the Southwest in the 115 degree summer time heat it will be a problem I see Marathon and RV dealers replacing it all the time when the oil leaves the vinyl time to replace it you have a great day

Blacksheep

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »
What, you saying it doesn't get hot down here in Florida? I've been in buses where it was so hot you can't breath. I don't think you really have an argument there. I too live not too far from Marathon dealer/service center and visit often. I don't see many of them being replaced. Also we visit Lazy Days RV world and most if not all the S&S coaches use vinyl. I think ozite and fabric went out in the 70's.
As for foam breaking down? Yes if it is a polyurethane foam it will break down from heat rather quick but most converters don't use polyurethane anymore!
As far as using the ultra leather? Trying wiping it down with a wet cloth and cleaner. You'll find discoloration over a period of time, something you don't get with vinyl.
I say to each his own but don't knock a product that has been tried and proven for many years comparing IT'S cost to alternative methods!

Ace

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »
We WERE going to use that very thin plastic sheeting stuff employed in bathrooms and built up shower stalls.  Home Club has it in various light color shades.  Were going to alternate 4 foot lateral strips of off white and light powder blue with a separating thin molding.

This stuff (don't know what it's called) is very light weight, flexible and bows up easily against the curved ceiling, but hids holes and dips.  Also hard and kinda shiny and cleans up real easy.  Adhesive and SS screws would have held it all up. Hope this helps.  HB of CJ :) :) :)

Offline CAROLINABOY

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 11:25:07 AM »
what type of vinyl do you put on the ceiling? if that is what will be used there are many differnet types and prices if you have a name brand that would be great.
servant for JESUS CHRIST

luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »
You 2 guys never agree on anything,  putting my horse into the race here  both of you are talking about two different areas of the country with different type heat in AZ we have our world famous "dry heat" take a hair dryer blow it on a materail sample for 10 minutes that is what you get here in AZ.  Vinyl is not a materail used here and for Ozite I have it on my ceiling and it was installed about 2 years ago again (3rd time) and I would not recommend using it.Being a part owner in a RV dealer I see new RVs with Ozite on the ceiling along with vinyl I call it wall paper and like Jack said it falls off in about 2 years or less here.For the ultra leather I love the stuff most of the so called leather furniture in RVs are made with it.Thinking about using it on my ceiling next time but at 60 bucks a square yard it's pricey       good luck and play nice

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »
I used white vinyl glued to 1/4" luan plywood with contact cement.   Srewed it to the ceiling runner on one foot centers and covered the screws with those white caps.  All this was bought at an upohlstry supply place.  It's been up 5 years with no problem.  Easy to clean, but don't hit it with a sharp object.    I like Ace's idea over a pad.  That would give it a nice soft look, though I wouldn't want to do the extra work.

David

Offline New2Busin

• Ben
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
Newb question...I've been looking for a topic like this.

Do you install the ceiling fabric before or after everything else? 

OK, reading that seems dumb...redirect: So after everything is done with the exception of ceiling lights, then you place the material up top?  Is this a PITA?  I mean, I saw a little bit of a demo on busconversions101.com but it looked like it would be hard to keep the contact glue from "contacting" other objects (cabinets, refrig, walls) as your installing the material.

On a side note, just how high can you raise your roof?  The standard I've seen advertised is 10".  Is 12" possible?
New to Busing, but looking forward to a new adventure and meeting a new breed of folks.  If motorcyle families are close, can only imagine what a bus family is like.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal