Author Topic: We're Home  (Read 3609 times)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
We're Home
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »
   We left home Sept. 17 and returned home today.  We visited a lot of fellow busnuts, attended 3 Bus Rallies, and saw the leaves change in West Virginia and on the Blueridge Parkway.  I can't give the total fuel cost until I fill the tank this week, but we drove approx. 2000 miles. I will post that information after we fill 'er up.
   We have found that our engine is getting tired, more smoke, less power and more fuel.  We have purchased another 8V71 from a friend and will do the engine swap in the spring after our winter bluegrass festival season here in Florida. Other than that, only problem was a blown rear tire (passenger side inside dual) which fortunately occur as were turning a corner at about 5 MPH.
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: We're Home
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:44:45 PM »
Hi Jack,

Bummer to hear about your engine!  How did your tire blow out? did it get punktured?

Glad you and Paula had anouther great trip.
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

cody

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:58:24 PM »
Those trips are what life is all about, enjoying what this great country has to offer and enjoying it with friends.  My dad and mom loved to travel, or at least to talk about traveling, they did do some but no where near what they wanted to do, life always seemed to get in the way, now my dad is gone and my mom is in a nursing home. After I finish my cardiac rehab thing, I want to get on the road again, maybe I can reclaim my spot along side the garage at your place lol.  What a wonderful winter last year was, the rally, the friends, the warm weather and all the things that went along with being in arcadia, especially, you and Paula.  The snow is falling today up here, only a few inches on the ground but I look out at the bus in Jamies driveway and it brings back memories of the journey south last year, I really need to see a palm tree again.  Welcome home and we'll see you all when we can.

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »
Welcome back to Florida, we've missed ya.......  Glad you had a safe 2000 miles.

Bill & Hyeyong

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 06:11:16 PM »
Jack glad you and Paula made it home ok although when I saw you it was a skip and a jump! We too made it back home ok and it was nice seeing you guys again! We'll  see you soon in Arcadia as we said!

Take care...
Ace

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:02:42 PM »
Nick, i'm bettin' it was a right turn into a sharp curb  ;D

Glad you're back, Jack!  Safe and sound and broke.  Tell Paula we said hi and to get crackin in case we can make it down.  We'd love to get there.

too darn cold here.  already!!
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:38:28 PM »
If we are voting on the probable cause of the puncture, here is mine. It might have been caused by a sharp stick in a field where they parked, while attending a awsomegrass bluegrass event ;D. We got our last flat by something similar.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 05:00:26 AM »
   The tire was probably my fault.  The failure point was the sidewall of the inside dual.  We had a problem with our PressurePro not getting a signal from the 2 passenger drive axle tires (Although rare, occasionaly the PressurePro does not receive a signal from a tire or 2). Instead of stopping immediately to check this, I continued driving about 100 miles to our destination. When we arrive at a destination, we unplug the PressurePro due to false alarms if the ambient temp drops enough to reduce the tire pressures enough to set off the alarm. When we were ready to leave, I checked our tire pressures with a gauge and found this tire was flat.  I filled it to 100 PSI and only drove about 10 miles when it blew as we turned a corner as we pulled away from a stop sign.  Moral: ALWAYS stop and check tires if PressurePro shows ANYTHING abnormal.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Sojourner

• Jesus Love You!
    • Jesus Love You!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:40:46 AM »
Glad your back to your home.

About the tire blew...sorry it happen. Thanks for informing the Moral: "ALWAYS stop and check tires if PressurePro shows ANYTHING abnormal"
Thanks...I needed that.

Take care, Gerald
http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him

Ncbob

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 04:43:16 PM »
Jack & Paula, we're happy you made it home safely with only a tire problem. Ah, for want of a needle......

We made our return trip to Bushnell in 9.5 hours this year....had to put my foot in the pump because we're burning daylight. Not bad for a 500 mile trip. I'll pay the piper when diesel drops a bit. The 70 gallon fuel bill for the trip home wasn't a terror this year....only $3.25 a gallon. Looks like I got around 7 MPG.

We've got 5 horses, Humane Society fosters this year, 3 dogs and 2 crazy cats for a few months. Whoever had these horses starved them near to death and we have some problems. 4 out of a herd of 32, and a youngster who had to be gelded. If they only knew how lucky they are.......

Best to both and the family.

Jackie & NCbob

Blacksheep

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
Glad your back Bob! How you feeling? Good I hope! If you need anything, you know you don't need to hesitate to ask!
Tell Jackie hello and keep in touch.
Ace

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:50:34 AM »
Glad all Y'all made it back to florida,  'course in the bus, aren't you always home? :)

pleasure to see both Bob & Jackie and Jack & Paula this year.

good luck with the horses Bob, Im sure they're in good hands.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal