Author Topic: reverse image back up cameras?  (Read 22443 times)

Offline happycamperbrat

reverse image back up cameras?
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »
I am starting to shop for a back up camera and have come across "reverse image" ones for more money...... I read what it means, but is it really worth the extra money?
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline TomC

Re: reverse image back up cameras?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »
Yes it is, since with a normal image, you'll be thinking it is on your left when it is on your right (and vice versa).  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline busnut104

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »
I had the image reversed, I just took it to a tv repair shop and all you have to due is change a coupl of wires.

Offline baker4106

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:51:47 AM »
My camera has a switch to reverse the image on the back of the monitor.   

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »
You definitely want the reverse image unless you plan to put the monitor behind you and turn backwards to look at it.  Other than doing that, it will be terribly confusing.  I believe that the image is generally reversed at the monitor, not the camera.  Therefore it should not be too difficult to do with most systems.  It always sort of appears that the systems made specially for RV's with reverse image are more expensive.  I suspect that it is merely because they know that we will pay more for that feature and not due to superior quality over security cameras. 
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:25:33 AM »
I had the image reversed, I just took it to a tv repair shop and all you have to due is change a coupl of wires.

That's only true for the monitor, not the camera, so if you also use the monitor for other things besides the backup camera, it won't help.  It is also only true for the older CRT monitors -- reversing an LCD monitor that is not built to do so is much more complex.

Reverse-image backup cameras, which will work with any NTSC video monitor, are less than $25 now, FWIW.

Backup cameras and side-mirror cameras need to be reverse image for your brain to interpret the data the same way it interprets actual mirrors.  Speaking from experience (my backup monitor has selectable normal/reverse image), it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to turn the wheel the correct direction if the image is not reversed.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:48:15 AM »
I got our camera/monitor from RV Cams and it just has a switch to reverse image, cost about 150 bucks about 4 years ago. I have to admit I haven't used the feature.

~Paul~

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline BG6

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:25:47 AM »
I am starting to shop for a back up camera and have come across "reverse image" ones for more money...... I read what it means, but is it really worth the extra money?

Only if you don't like to run into things.  ;)

Is it really that much more money?  Think about it.  I know that we often nickel-and-dime stuff, but a lot of the time we are losing perspective and it costs us more in other ways.

If the price of the reversed system is one that you are willing to pay, then it doesn't matter what anything else costs, it's worth the money to you.

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:05 AM »
I just leave my monitor on reverse image all the time. When I replaced my camera a couple of weeks ago with a inexpensive security camera from Radio Shack, the monitor still displayed the image correctly. Based on that, the reverse capability must be in the monitor. I'm not really into mental gymnastics. Just the thought gives me palpitations  ???
Will

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 11:34:44 AM »
My brother purchased a rear view camera and monitor that did not have a reversed image. "no problem, he said, I know that the image will show flipped side to side". About 4 miles from his house, on the interstate(6 lanes), he saw a semi coming up on his right in his monitor, so he started moving to the left. Fortunately, he checked his mirror first and saw the semi on his left. He turned off the rear view camera and did not use it until he got home and reversed the image.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »
Hey Brat,

My brother-in-law(wmyost) just picked up a back-up color camera system for the both of us from Sam's in Corpus Christi, Texas. The camera is wireless and mounts to the license plate or anywhere you choose.  It has a 7", color, LCD monitor that has multiple mounting options.   It features AV input for backseat use, brightness contrast control, upside down and reverse image control, audio/visual inputs for video games & DVD's.  The camera is water resistant with day or night time use.  It's made by Peak and called Safety View Back-Up Camera System.  It cost a little over $100.00.  I talked with my brother-in-law and he said the Sam's in Corpus still had a lot of them available.  PM me if you are interested, or you might check a Sam's in your area.

Richard

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »
I think you will find the wireless units will likely not work on a bus.

These are designed for cars, or, maybe at the most, a standard-sized van like an Econoline.  By federal law, the transmitter is limited to a tiny amount of power.  Getting that signal to go through one layer of thin sheet metal and then another 10'-15' is one thing; getting it to go 40'-45' through a bus frame, engine (depending on mounting location) and everything else in a conversion is something else entirely.

The only way to know, of course, would be to try it.  But I would ask if they will refund your money once you set it up.  Don't forget to try it with the engine on under road conditions; EMI from the engine itself can play havoc with the signal.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 04:26:54 PM »
I installed one of those wireless for a temporary measure to keep tabs on the toad.

That was four years ago.

I usually look at the shadow but there are times of the day or directions you are going that you can't do that so then I turn on the camera.

I won't work at night because the license plate light messes it up.

I seem to get the best signal when I am in a valley or next to a semi truck to reflect the signal also under some underpasses otherwise it is pretty hit and miss but I am glad I have it.

HTH

YMMV

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
I bought a Voyager from Camping world a couple of years ago. Not cheap but i am very happy with it. 7" color monitor, i can adjust the tint, brightness, color and contrast. It has a mic so i can hear behind me and also infra red for nite viewing which i haven't hooked up yet because i don't drive after dark if at all possible. In a MCI 5A there is no dash space to speak of and i needed a thin monitor. Mine is only 1 & 1/4" thick and as it turned out i was able to mount it above the windshield so it is out of the way  and very easy to view as the sun never hits it.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline gus

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 08:17:05 PM »
I got one of those wireless cheapos like Richard and it works great.

I mounted it just inside the rear window so transmitting is no problem.

There is no law that says it has to go on the license plate!!

It has a switch that allows the monitor to show just about any position it could possibly be in.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal