Author Topic: Over the road A/C  (Read 26784 times)

Offline Hi yo silver

Re: Over the road A/C
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2006, 10:26:11 AM »
Hmmm, Freeze 12, huh?  Anybody got more on this stuff?
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2006, 11:16:52 AM »
I believe NAPA has it. I have seen it on 'the net', just search freeze12. If I remember right, U don't need a license to buy it either.

Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »
Hi Yo,

I have a brand new side tapper and a can I would list on the "Spare tire " if your interested

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2006, 12:31:23 PM »
Cliff,
Thanks but I haven't got this bus yet. Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you.  I just trying to figure out some costs I will run into if I buy it. (It's OK to roll your eyes.)  This must be a new refrigerant.  Had not heard of it.
Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »
Driver's Air??

I think that Frank's solution would be perfect for those of us that DON'T have OEM bus air or need to ditch ours for whatever reason. In our coach, the front is just horrible with heat loss (too many windows and not enough insulation), so I'm thinking of doing the entertainer coach thing and making a smaller passage door or curtain at the step up to the main parlor of the coach. Maybe put the entertainment system behind the driver's seat and cordon off another area on the other side. When parked we won't have the massive heat/cooling loss out the front. When driving, I can keep ""my space" and "their space" separate and just open the door/ curtain when we need to converse with the family. The co-pilot's seat would stay where it is. Would be a nice retreat for the Missus and me, even.

The existing driver's defrost will heat that area fine. Then I'd want a driver's A/C system, not at all unlike a S&S Class C or Class A with driver's A/C. Sounds like running the Freon lines and figuring out the 12v-from-24v would be the most difficult issues with using a system from a full-size van or something.

Once the front is out of the equation, the two roof-top A/Cs off the genset should be able to cool the back 30' of my coach, I'd think.

Sound doable? Maybe $2k or so?

Should I have started another thread?  ;D

Brian
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2006, 04:24:10 PM »
Ha ha ha, thinking about that Freeze 12.  . . we got rooked into working on the Red Dot and factory airs on a bunch of garbage trucks for our local Waste Management company.  Long story, but they gave us two bays and we sent a guy or two out, once or twice a week, and worked on all of their a/c units because the local Mac shop would only take one at a time and would let it sit there for up to a week while they were working on it.  >:(

We could get anywhere from 5 to 10 trucks going each time we went out, depending on whether we were changing compressors and hoses or just repairing electrical things (like where the mechanics would snip a short piece of wire between the relay and switch so they could use it to repair a wire somewhere else. ;))  We used Freeze 12 in the R-12 units without a problem. 

Thank goodness, they finally purchased new trucks and we managed to get out from under that "deal" without hurting anyone's feelings.  As it is, they've always given us excellant service and do little "extras" because we kept those guys cool when no one else would.  :-* Ahhhh, those were the days. . ."do anything for a buck" , ha ha.  Don't miss working on those trucks, but it was an "experience." ;D  Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline Dirtball

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2006, 05:33:23 PM »
I have OTR and cruiseairs. we use our bus like some folks would use a chevy van for shopping ,dinner ,vet appts. Otr lets us rapidly heat and cool. on these sometimes short trips. The cruiseairs with Copeland comporessors have failed at times , while the busair has never let me down. .......1996 DL3,  DDS60
1996 MCI DL3 Custom Coach conversion

Offline TomC

Re: Body BTU
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2006, 07:47:11 AM »
We produce about 270-500btu's of heat.  Just to let you know.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

HighTechRedneck

Re: Body BTU
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2006, 10:19:23 AM »
We produce about 270-500btu's of heat.  Just to let you know.  Good Luck, TomC
So can we interpret that to mean that you are cool?   ;)

Just to weigh in on the topic, after much thought and the experience of crossing the country during the heat wave, I have decided to keep the OTR air as a backup to the electric air conditioners I will be installing.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2006, 06:23:49 PM »
Tom,

Did you mean 270,000 to 500,000 btu's?

Cause 270 - 500 isn't much!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Bosshosssport96

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2006, 06:33:22 PM »
Are  automotive type compressors rebuildable,or is it just cheaper to buy one....Frank

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2006, 10:24:30 PM »
I would not rebuild. Go with new or find one off a low mileage wreak.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2006, 04:12:33 AM »
Man, we have to replace the compressor on a 2002 Dodge Van, so they tell us it's a "dealer item".  We call the dealer and price it. . . just under $800. :o  Yes, I said, $800 for a compressor for a van. . .a van. .. not a semi, not a bus, a stupid 1/2 ton van! >:(  Don't have a choice about replacing it either, as the whole from of the compressor fell off. :D   Needless to say, we are exploring other options to secure that compressor,  ;).  Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2006, 04:24:13 AM »
Christy,

I just bought a new aftermarket compressor off of ebay two months ago, works like a champ.

Here's one for a  Dodge van 140015702674

$195.00

Cliff  
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline TomC

Re: Human BTU's
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2006, 08:30:57 AM »
Nick- yes that's correct-we produce about 270-500btu's of heat (as researched on the web), depending on if your skinny or fat (hence I think I produce about 600btu's).  If you round that out to say 300btu's per person and have 42 people in the bus, that's 12,600btu's.  Course it would be higher when they first get on the bus on a hot day.  Even 500btu's times 42 would be 21,000btu's.  When you consider the bus A/C is somewhere between 40-60,000btu, then you can see why they make them so large.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal