Author Topic: Think tank..  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Brill-o

Think tank..
« on: August 10, 2006, 07:16:28 AM »
I found what looks like some kind of heater (I think).

Whilst cleaning and checking the spares that came with it, I found this in a hinged compartment inside the pass seat frame behind the fire extinguisher box-- which is to the immediate right, inside the entrance door area.

It has an outside (of the tank) thermostat and copper lines running to it. The water fill tube for the rad’ is directly attached to it on the outside of the bus

Can anyone here identify this? (See pic-)
(I found the original breakdown “safety flag” in there, too!)

In addition to this I tried the interior fans and the overhead passenger privacy lamps which I store in the boot for now, and they all worked and can be reused if so desired.

More to come-

Cheers..
Mind the Gap!

Offline TomC

Re: Think tank..
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:24:52 AM »
Expansion tank for the radiator?  Extra lines being for de-aeriating?  Maybe a Brill expert will know?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:21:32 PM »

Hey Tom-

Thanks for the contemplation- I believe you're right.

I don't know what all the extra lines are for?

Anyone else care to take an educated guess?

Cheers..
Mind the Gap!

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 06:11:22 PM »
Tom, you are starting to sound like Marc now. LOL
Richard

Expansion tank for the radiator?  Extra lines being for de-aeriating?  Maybe a Brill expert will know?  Good Luck, TomC
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 11:49:08 AM »

Ok-

How’s about some uneducated guesses?

Over 150 people have viewed this post---Surely, some of you can take a shot at it?

Come on folks, throw me a bone here!

Thank you.

Cheers..
Mind the Gap!

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 05:47:51 PM »
How 'bout an alcohol tank, for deicing brake lines in the winter...Hey, you said throw you a bone.  Is that like brain-storming?  Keep us posted!
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 05:50:46 PM »
Whoops!
Reread the post.  Missed the part regarding it being attached directly to the radiator fill.  Sorry!
HI yo
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 06:20:07 PM »
Doesn't seem to be much doubt that it is a coolant expansion tank since it is connected to the radiator fill tube.  As for the copper lines, if there is any doubt as to their function, are they accessible enough to trace where they go to?

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 06:34:19 PM »
I'm gonna vote for expansion tank too.   ???   The copper lines could be air return lines...to vent high places in the cooling system?    Where's all those "Brill" guys when you need them?   
Do you have a manual for the coach?  Be nice to have both parts and service mans.  Surely someone has them.  They can be copied onto a CD fairly inexpensively.   While no parts are likely to be available, a parts manual would be invaluable to ID odd parts.   OR, start taking things apart until you run down the lines.   Looks like the tank could use a little "maintenance" anyway.   Be sure to take good pix of the plumbing to the tank before you disassemble anything...i've made that mistake a couple of times...but, there are plenty manuals for my bus. 
Did you every get the engine running for more than a few seconds? 
Good Luck,  JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Dale MC8

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 11:08:28 PM »
OK, since you asked for guesses, here's a giant WAG. Could it be windshield washer fluid heater tank? Didn't think so, but you did ask for guesses.
Dale
Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal