Author Topic: Ants in the asphalt driveway? NO longer :)  (Read 5284 times)

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
Ants in the asphalt driveway? NO longer :)
« on: August 10, 2006, 03:39:28 PM »
So today I crawled under the bus to work on the poo tank, and found that I was almost instantly covered in ants. Again. Ugh.
My work area is reasonbaly old asphalt, and the little buggers have been taking advantage of the cracks to make nests and ant-freeways,
sometimes right where I work..

In the old days I'd try to drown them or pour ant poison down the holes... never worked.  But last week (and again today) I finally found something that works incredibly well,
is extremely satisfying, and has that "right now" mentality....

I took my plasma cutter, stuck the snout in one of the ant holes, and pulled the trigger.....

Immediately it shot super heated air down the hole, and as the plasma started to burn some of the asphlalt, the hot air turned to a thick yellow smoke.  Then the smoke started coming up everywhere in the driveway... and the ants instantly disappeared... and they stayed disappeared

Try it, you'll like it  :)
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Ants in the asphalt driveway? NO longer :)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 05:18:45 PM »
I always wanted a plasma cutter now I got a reason to give Dad so the company will pay for it! Cool idea thanks Gary! BK ;D

BK, I just could not pass up the opportunity to put in another shameless plug for you. LOL
Richard

:) ;) :D It's gonna be a Blast at the "TN Fall Bus Bash" at Knuckle's check out the "TN Fall Bus Bash" Thread to see what all we got planned! ;D :o ::)
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Bosshosssport96

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 09:43:40 PM »
Why is it.I'm always the last one to find out these new ideas on the termination of ants,and to think I just went and bought a couple of cans of raid, ant and roach killer.....Frank.

Offline Frank @ TX

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 07:23:34 AM »
Hey Guys,
To get rid of any insect pests like ants and roaches ect. .... just mix up:
1/3 sugar
1/3 flower ( like for bread )
1/3 boric acid ( drug store, and the like )
mix it up ,
for inside   put about a pinch in a little saucer or cut a foam coffee cup 1/4" high
for outside   (where its windy like your driveway ) mix in enough water to make a thich dough
                 make little balls smaller that peas let them dry hard and roll them under refridg, tool cabnets , bus and such

You will not see insects anymore.  Takes about 4 days for them to bring it down the their home site.
The best part of this mixture is that it just kills insects ( loosens their shell from their body parts and they die ).
Good Luck

Frank

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 07:51:28 AM »
This spring we had tiny ants in the house. They were coming in by the patio door, under the trim and vinyl. There were a few one day and hundreds the next!

My friend told me about some solution you can buy that is a liquid. You put it on a little piece of foil and the ants come to it like cattle to a trough! They suck the stuff up and take it back to the nest and feed it to the rest of the colony.

Sure enough. I put a few drops on a small square of foil, maybe an inch wide. At one point there were ants wall to wall all the way around the perimeter of the tiny puddle! It was awesome. They sucked it up and I refilled it with glee.

The next day, no more ants. Not one ant!

Don't know how well it would work outside, but if it were close to the nest it'd probably do ok. It was cheap, too. I think I got two bottles in the pack (special deal) for about $2. Each bottle is an ounce or two, and I used maybe 10 drops total. There's enough there to last me 100 years!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Frank @ TX

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 08:04:27 AM »
Hey Grumpy,
What's the name on the bottle or what's the ingredients ??
Thanks

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 08:33:16 AM »
I still like Gary's method the best.  Ahh, pyro stuff, and no waiting!  Guess I better get my fire insurance paid up.

I tried the boric acid and sugar several years ago, and the ants just made a path around it.  These little buggers don't seem to ever eat any bait, just my garbage.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 11:00:36 AM »
Hey Grumpy,
What's the name on the bottle or what's the ingredients ??
Thanks

I'll have to look.  Will get back to you.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Paso One

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:48:56 PM »
The product you are talking about is made by Green Cross and it is called ANT-B- Gon Amazing stuff.
If your bored also good entertainment watching the ants go to it and then tell there friends.
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 12:50:12 PM »
Gary,

I just have this image from your story:

News truck parked next to Garys house

Reporter to neighbor: What happened!

Neighbor: Well its hard to say.  The guy that lived here was a little strange, Had this Big Giant Bus in his driveway.  I saw him behind it on His knees yelling something and then "BOOM"

Reporter: What was he saying?

Neighbor: Sounded like "I'll teach you to make a freeway in my driveway", not really sure.

Reporter: Back to you in the News room, live from the San Diego crater ;D ;D

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal