Author Topic: Typical HP of a Detroit V-6-92  (Read 14796 times)

Offline Gary '79 5C

Re: Typical HP of a Detroit V-6-92
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »
Interesting.  The "fuel squeezer" had a governor that capped the HP at a certain amount - 270 hp - but the engine had the same injectors as the 335 hp version and produced the same HP up to the RPM where the restriction started.  If your engine is the "fuel squeezer", I'd be interested to figure out how to tamper with the "tamper resistant governor"

So, With a 6V92TA w/ 92 injectors, Could a poorman's fuel squeezer be keeping his foot out of it ??
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:50 AM »
Gary, I honestly don't know.  Obviously not using full throttle is one way to save fuel, but the governor on our engines is not a direct link between foot and throttle plate the way it is on a carburettor.  The control is more of a speed control lever on top of the governor, and the governor springs and settings decide how much fuel to inject based on speed, load, accelerating, decelerating etc.  You can have full movement/full fuel  on the injectors but not have your foot all the way down - I think

The TT Fuel Squeezer backs off the full rack setting after a certain RPM has been exceeded.  It's variable, so it's almost like the injector size is being altered to cap the amount of fuel being injected to only that which will create a certain amount of HP.  This will have the effect of enticing the driver to drive at lower RPM's and shift earlier - the engine is unrestricted up to the RPM level, so it acts great, it just hits that wall at 1500 rpm so you may as well shift up and get back into the torque curve.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »
Scott, and anyone else even thinking about messing with the "govnah"...one of the great tricks I picked up from working with Clifford the bus guru, aka "luvrbus" is this: if you mess with anything that has to do with the governor or fuel control rods, pull a valve cover and attach a set of vise grips to the fuel rod lever. This way you can control the fuel rods separately from the governor in case of a bad adjustment. good insurance I think.
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
I haven't set a "TT Fuel Squeezer" with the Belleville spring washers since I worked for Detroit Diesel 30 years ago, but as I recall you set the engine to a lower top rpm using the washer assembly.  The way it worked was that as the engine was climbing a hill, the Belleville washers would compress and allow the governor more travel (fuel) so that you would slowly get up to full rack rather than getting it right away as you would driving with the regular governor high speed spring.  The truck drivers hated the TT engines so we would just adjust the no-load rpm to 2300 using the big nut which would leave the Belleville washers sitting all alone on the adjustment threads without messing with them or removing them.

Also, I don't don't know what the Greyhound engines were set at horsepowerwise, but the charter buses of that era were all set at 335 HP with G85 injectors.

--Geoff
General Diesel Service
Prescott, AZ
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 11:51:37 AM »
Scott, and anyone else even thinking about messing with the "govnah"...one of the great tricks I picked up from working with Clifford the bus guru, aka "luvrbus" is this: if you mess with anything that has to do with the governor or fuel control rods, pull a valve cover and attach a set of vise grips to the fuel rod lever. This way you can control the fuel rods separately from the governor in case of a bad adjustment. good insurance I think.

Thanks for the tip on that. I am no sure I'll tackle this immediately...I have visions of a runaway in my head and I can't get a clipboard over the intake fast enough  :-\
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 01:57:55 PM »

Thanks for the tip on that. I am no sure I'll tackle this immediately...I have visions of a runaway in my head and I can't get a clipboard over the intake fast enough  :-\

Detroits don't "run away", they overspeed. Running away is what most people would do as the DD begins to overspeed...while the well seasoned DD mechanic calmly reaches in and blocks off the air intake. ;D ;D ;D
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »
got it.  overspeed...ahha..and i must say that i was tempted the other day to "run away" when i was working on the engine stop lever and i had the return spring for the throttle removed, and i pulled the throttle lever and of course it stayed there...at full throttle. no exhaust...coming right out of the manifold... :o two strokes are loud beasts...wow...hurt my ears even with full cover sound muffs on! but instead of running away, i calmly...ok that's a lie...i nervously reached into the belly of the beast and manually pushed the throttle lever back into idle position. and the roar calmed to a rumble...which was still loud. So, I'm not quite yet feeling the desire to adjust my horsepower by messing with the fuel squeezer...not just yet.
Scott & Heather

PSmith

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 04:28:46 AM »
It's possible for a DD to "run away" or "overspeed" if there becomes an 'adequate' alternate source of fuel - such as a blower seal leak  :) . Taking the 'air' out of the equation is still the answer .

Offline eagle19952

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Scott & Heather

Offline Van

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
 ;D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »
Maybe I just discovered who is ignoring me!   ;D ;D ;D

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Van

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
 ;D ;)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »
Maybe I just discovered who is ignoring me!   ;D ;D ;D

Brian

Ah no...I don't play that way.
But I don't clic on every link,I just read and seek.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal