Author Topic: Grease Monkey  (Read 27447 times)

Offline bronson

Re: Grease Monkey
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2021, 05:25:24 PM »
So what happened in regards to the bus grease monkey worked on?
Gary Bronson
1984-MCI-9
Mount Orab Ohio

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2021, 06:10:19 PM »
It's a sensitive subject with some hard feelings left over, but a certain grease monkey overhauled a 8V71 in a GM bus, and it did not turn out well, and he initially did not offer to make good on it. The couple involved took it to a highly esteemed mechanic who guided them into doing the work correctly. Many errors were found that leave doubts about the quality of the previous work, which were documented on video. The bus in question is safely up in Canada now, and apparently some arrangement was made for restitution that involved removing some sources of the videos, and a lack of public comments.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2021, 08:06:29 AM »

I must be the old timer here.  Will have had mine 60 years on June 1st.

Just had huggy for 20 some years.

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »
As I once heard someone say, "I've been married for 50 years and have not regretted one day of it.  I just can't remember which day that was."
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2021, 08:41:37 AM »

Lin

Amen to that.   LOL

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
My wife says we've been married 47 years this year, but I'm positive it is much longer.😂
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2021, 02:28:43 PM »
My wife says we've been married 47 years this year, but I'm positive it is much longer.😂

I think they estimate about a hundred years low on that.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2021, 04:14:07 AM »
😁
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline 6805eagleguy

• Have you ever seen a sad person rolling coal?
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »
huh. just watched a one of his vids, the one a bout the eagle loosing turbo boost, got about halfway through and he states that the 6v92 has more cubic inches then the 8v71. now i dont know too much about 2 strokes, but i dont think that is correct??? :o :o

oh well. he is what he is. ;)
1968 Eagle model 05
Series 60 and b500 functioning mid 2020

Located in sunny McCook Nebraska

https://eagles-international.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4786&sid=12ebf0fa56a6cbcf3bbaf1886a030a4e

Offline richard5933

« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »
Cubic inch count is close on both, but I'd suspect the 8V71 has a few more. Perhaps he was thinking HP? We've all mis-stated things like this though so I'm not sure what this says or doesn't say.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2021, 02:08:19 PM »
16 cubic inches different,they both have about 350 hp with the same turbo and after cooler LOL I heard the 2 stroke made twice the cubic inches as a 4 stroke because it fired on every stroke,I am not saying who made that dumb @$# statement
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TwoFeathersRD

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2021, 06:06:18 PM »
It's a sensitive subject with some hard feelings left over, but a certain grease monkey overhauled a 8V71 in a GM bus, and it did not turn out well, and he initially did not offer to make good on it. The couple involved took it to a highly esteemed mechanic who guided them into doing the work correctly. Many errors were found that leave doubts about the quality of the previous work, which were documented on video. The bus in question is safely up in Canada now, and apparently some arrangement was made for restitution that involved removing some sources of the videos, and a lack of public comments.

My understand from a direct source was that it was recommended to be an out of bus rebuild. The owner was trying to save money and knew the risks. It is also an understanding that the block may not have been properly measured with the right tool.

Fact is this, Roomers are roomers.  The only people that know the story is Scott and the owner. I do know the bus owner created a video and made a threat of releasing the video unless Scott paid him money back. I understand that Scott made no public statements about any details on how it was settled but did state there was an issue and the owner was putting statements out. It was also found with the statements out there that the bus owner is also well know in social media.

Fact is that any time you have anyone do work on you vehicle, make sure they have shop insurance. WE have this for issues just like this type of problem that would have been covered by a shop keepers policy.

I am not on one persons side. I look at it with an open mind as we are all human and make mistakes. It is how we correct them.

On a side note. I did have a person tell me that bus owner had that bus taken to another shop and the tow company damaged the bus in transport. In the end, I was told the insurance paid for either repairs or replacement of the bus.

Again, What I said is either third parts statements, Direct or personal.

But, do yourself a favor and make sure, your service provider has insurance and if needed verify it before work is done so that you can feel confident in the work performed.

I can say this first hand knowledge.  For the amount of buses that Scott has worked on. He did learn from that event and has only has a small amount of set backs on the many buses he has worked on.

That alone is a better record than many if not most of the shops out there. He is very fair on prices from what I can see as well.  Do not let this event create a judgement about this person as it was a rare issue. The fault may be with both parties in this case. I was not there. But, that is my two cents.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2021, 07:14:05 PM »

On a side note. I did have a person tell me that bus owner had that bus taken to another shop and the tow company damaged the bus in transport. In the end, I was told the insurance paid for either repairs or replacement of the bus.

Don't know who started that rumor but Yvan drove the bus 3,000 miles to my shop in AZ and drove it back to Canada.LOL Scott called me a jerk when I told people he needed insurance on F/B and unfriend me,not that I cared anyways.Insurance cost a lot of money to protect your self and the owner It required in Az by law if your bill is over $250.00 me I would not open the doors without it

Offline TwoFeathersRD

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2021, 07:34:23 PM »
 It is hard to tell where things come from. When I get third person statements. The statements are just that. I told Scott the same thing. I told him what we have for our shop. The issue I think he has is that he is mobile in many states. I would think that it may be an issue to find a company?

Its good to hear he was able to drive it home. Yes, the think about the tow truck damage was from a third person and not directly stated to me.

Most people do not understand the importance of insurance. Just one problem can destroy what you created. I am glad the bus was not junked as it was implied to me. I remember the videos from then.   I hope people take that event as a lesson to all. Even at a standard shop.

I think at the time, it may be possible that things were done by word of mouth with the understanding it was not a business but him helping?  I do not know. I know I had reached out for help and he never made it to our bus and skipped over us as another bus owner a hour away had cancelled two years ago. At that time as they do now. He charges a travel fee then an hourly rate. He also makes money off the Youtube videos which is good money  now that he is over 104k followers.

Scott has not really been on the road for a year now. but, he is back to working on buses.  This bus motor issue is the only issue I know of at this point from the time I started following him some two years plus ago.

Shoot. I have been on this board and I am still new here as I do not post much. But, I read...lol

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2021, 07:49:09 PM »
He has had a few problems in his learning curve and people just let it slide

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal