Author Topic: New window air conditioner that might be hackable into a quasi mini split  (Read 3183 times)

Offline freds

• 1980 Prevost Original Motorhome
Good Morning Everyone

Just saw a YouTube review of a new window air conditioner that someone knowledgeable may be able to hack into a compact mini-split.

Here's the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-pa_vUNGl4

Here's the Amazon purchase link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0867GMW9X?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

Enjoy...

Offline freds

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
At 6000 BTU I'd say it isn't worth the effort.  In effect all that unit is is a mini split assembled with a short tubing kit.  The AC in my little bus is 9,000 BTU's and Id like to come up with a 12,000 BTU inverter unit to replace it with but so far the only one I have found (LG) is too large spatially to fit.  Jack

Offline freds

Ah the first one that I listed is available in 8,000 - 12,000 BTU's.

I am getting ready to put a large number of solar panels on the roof of my bus and the air conditioners are in inconvenient spots in the relation to the widths of my panels.

However I also don't want to give up bay space and have to change a door for a mini-split.

Plus the cost of a 12,000 BTU unit is half the cost of a similar sized Mr Cool mini-split.

Offline windtrader

Check the SEER rating. These days when more on pulling power off batteries and panels, highly efficient units are desirable.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline richard5933

I've seen the outdoor side of a mini split installed in the engine compartment of a bus before. Maybe you have room for that option.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline freds

I've seen the outdoor side of a mini split installed in the engine compartment of a bus before. Maybe you have room for that option.

I could probably do that if I got rid of the diesel generator, but right now the remote radiator is there. Going to see how my full solar installation works for a while before I ditch it.

Offline TomC

A/C's are on sale. Buy two 12,000btu window units. Cut both in half carefully leaving the fan motor one one to power the inside unit. And cut the second leaving the fan motor for the outside unit. Even though you're buying two, still cheaper then a mini-split. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline chessie4905

Most window air conditioners use one motor with one fan blade and a squirrel cage at other end.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline freds

A/C's are on sale. Buy two 12,000btu window units. Cut both in half carefully leaving the fan motor one one to power the inside unit. And cut the second leaving the fan motor for the outside unit. Even though you're buying two, still cheaper then a mini-split. Good Luck, TomC

That's why I thought this unit was interesting in that you didn't have to hack up two separate units up and throw away stuff, just potentially extend two pipes and some wiring.

Plus this unit would be the very latest in refrigerant and efficiency being inverter based...

Of course the latest bleeding edge news specifies R600 with a dose of carbon nano tubes....

Offline ccbmster

Not sure what you are looking to do with the first unit you posted, but I had hoped to be able to separate the two units, mount the back half on the roof and the front have horizontally in the front of my MCI 102A3. 
I contacted the company and they claim it is not possible to separate the two units like a mini-split, and that both halves will not work at all if mounted horizontally.    :(

I hung my mini-split on the back of the bus and it looks fine and works great without giving up any bay space.  The only mistake I made was not getting one that supports 2 heads.  Cools the whole bus fine but only with a couple of fans pushing the air from the back to the front.  That gets old after a while.  I may have to break down and put an RV roof unit where the front hatch is.
86 MCI 102A3  Travel MI, IN, OH, VA, KY, GA, FL, and OK with most time spent in GA and FL 6V92 with Allison 740 Automatic

Offline freds

I hung my mini-split on the back of the bus and it looks fine and works great without giving up any bay space. 

Picture please?

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Lots of dirt on the back of the bus, so keeping the unit clean will be a priority.

Everything that goes under the bus comes up in a reverse vortex effect, rolling up and against the back of the bus.

Oil drips, dust, AC drains, etc.

Just so you know to keep the fins clean.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline TomC

I have 3-Coleman 13,500btu roof airs I installed in 1994 still working fine. Granted they aren't as quiet as I'd like, but at night I just run the front one or just the middle one and close the bedroom door (I have a space at the top just for the A/C flow). Can't beat that record and when I do need a new one, will be easy to replace. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

I have 3 Coleman 15,000 BTU hanging on my roof they are ducted,quite, will freeze you,I can run 1 off the inverter on the road or all 3  with the generator  if needed,my dash air works so good I never needed to do that,at a trade show I saw the new Coleman that is coming with the inverter compressors in a few years when he never did give me a time
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal